Changes made in version 4.0 of the CAB Local Information System
Version 4.0 incorporates the following changes...
The major change in this version is that you can now edit database entries via the same Intranet/Internet site you use to view entries. If you are not authorised to make changes, those editing features are hidden from you. You now get the choice between updating the database directly or - as before - via the synchronisation utility.
This version also includes the following changes:
- You now get more ways to search the database:
- Database entries changed since a given date
- Database entries not changed since a given date
- Database entries due for review on or before a given date
- Database entries that carry a local information reference starting with...
- The entry with a given database id
If you are using SQL Server to store your data, you get a new ability to search the words used in database entries. Note, however, this might be suppressed in your site if it causes performance problems.
- If you elect to allow people to make changes directly in the database:
- Maintenance users can add, delete and change user ids and passwords
- All logged-in users get an option to change their own passwords subject to validation criteria you specify
- The log of searches shows the id of the person making the search (or 'Anonymous' if not logged-in) and an extra column containing 'Intranet' to differentiate intranet searches from desktop ones when log files are shared.
- When people search the database, any error messages are shown in the results pane making them easier to spot.
- If you are using SQL Server to store your data, you get more space to store index entries for use with the main search. Previously the limit was 255 characters, the new limit is 800 characters.
- Maintenance users can use an online service to manage your database. You can use it to switch a SQL Server database between synchronisable and updateable, for example.
- You get new support tools to:
- Backup your database to local access databases (you get to specify how many copies you want to retain)
- Check web links held by your system are still valid
- The Show configuration values page now shows the current database timeout value (and the Intranet Installation Guide explains how to change the timeout).
- The Test file references page now shows diagnostic information even if the database cannot be opened successfully.
Version 4.0 also fixes the following bugs:
- A synchronisation bug that meant updates to links were not processed efficiently
- When using SQL Server, user ids weren't being tested correctly in every instance
- 'CABLI' references in web links are now processed correctly
- Softkey definitions that refer to documents - rather than database entries - are now processed correctly
In the reader program:
- If a soft button defines a document lookup with a numeric parameter, the parameter is interpreted as the id of an item in the database
- Search logging has been updated to match with logging done by the intranet version
In the maintenance program:
- Index data is created more efficiently allowing you to make best use of the limited space available for index terms
- When link checking:
- Links in the body of items defined with CABLI links are now checked along with web links
- You get the option to specify the time the checker should wait before deciding a web site is unresponsive
The network installation program updates databases to the version 4.0 format.
Click here to see what changed in previous versions.
Click here to get your free copy of the system.
Accesskey links: Skip navigation | Home page | Accessibility | Contact us | Accesskeys